Saturday, October 17, 2020

Pancakes with Jameson Whiskey Maple Bacon Syrup

While I was looking for good Irish recipes for St. Patrick's Day, I came across this one. I saw the picture and title and was intrigued. OK. I don't get many OMGs with food, and this was one, from all the family. --Mark


Ingredients

8 oz thinly-sliced bacon
1 1/2 cups maple syrup
1 shot (25 ml) of Jameson Irish Whiskey

1 1/2 cups flour
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3 T unsalted butter, plus more for cooking


Instructions

Dice the bacon and cook until crispy. Mix with the maple syrup and whiskey in a sauce pan and cook together on low heat. Once it comes to a simmer, remove from heat and cover it with foil.

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl using a whisk and form a well in the center. Melt 3 T butter. Crack the eggs into the well and add the milk and melted butter, whisking together until just combined.

Spool large dollops of the batter onto a greased pan - thick is okay with these. Once the pancake has started to cook and bubble on the top have burst, flip. Cook until browned.

Stack the pancakes on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Serve with syrup.

Notes

I use the precooked bacon and just heat until crispy. Less work. Less mess. Less smoke. Also, I added a little extra whiskey to the syrup for flavor. Normally I use pure maple sugar for these kinds of recipes, and it really is the best, but I used a standard syrup with this and it was really good. Just don't use the high-fructose corn syrup type.

No comments: